Two players work in this drill. The head of the group passes to the "Worker" and calls left or right. The passes are made with the balls passed back to the head player and the process repeats. Coaches can use width and depth to make this easier or more difficult
This is a great game to keep players engaged by constantly testing their decision-making and execution in attack.
Essentially, it's a 4 v 2 game where the attackers always have the advtantage, but they still have to make good decisions to score. It is a high-tempo game that requires the attackers to turn around and attack again straight after scoring.
Skill Practice Description
• The playing area is marked out in 5m channels.
• When defending, players must stay within their channel throughout the game.
• The attack must look to penetrate the defence by creating and preserving space.
• The defence must use a two handed touch.
• There is a 5 tackle turnover rule and once possession is turned over, the defence must get into a channel as the opposition can attack immediately.
Key Coaching Points
• Support players to hold their opposite number as long as possible before cutting a line to take the pass.
• The defender can close the space as far as the edge of their own channel.
• If the support player cuts too early or the ball carrier does not move their defender enough, the support player will be touched/tackled.
Relevance to the Game
• This game will help develop the footwork and running lines to effectively move defenders in order to penetrate the tackle line.